Sunday, July 21, 2019

The Nanny Granny


Many years ago, my youngest daughter’s nanny robbed her and she was terrified to have another nanny watch her children again … she called me in tears and asked if I could become “the nanny” … what are you going to do … I said yes … being a “nanny granny” was not a preferred role … as such I had to obey rules .. a grandma does not have such restrictions … they can fly in and out are not bound by such … unless you are dealing with a bat shit crazy parent that is …

I have to say, I enjoyed the time but it was taxing on me … young children are made for young parents not grandparents … I tired to get the boys out of the house as much as I could… I hate it when kids are shut INS… like a younger version nursing home!!!  You have to get out see and do things … enjoy the fresh air … one of my fav things to do with the boys was go to parks … go on walks … play in the yard do arts and crafts … science projects …play super hero games (I had my own super hero cape) … there was a local petting zoo as well … But the place we went to the most was the library, we were always at the library either in their own home town, or the one in the town where I lived.  

By going to my local library so often,  I started to developed friendships there and eventually started to volunteer at the library … I met so many kids … funny and extremely bright and talented kids … one even talked to me about how he could hack into any computer system … another who told me how to pick stocks … another who would write poetry for me … and the pre-teen and teenagers would tell me what books to read … this is where I learned about the Hunger Games book, when it first came out and told my daughter about it … all done by recommendations of children …


Then I started to ask them about iPads, iPods and using a computer and they taught me!  I would ask them about texting and Facebook as well … now this was 10 years ago and I was not at all savvy in such things …

Finally I said … let’s do a Podcast from the library with the  “the nanny granny" (that be me)  the library staff loved the idea … we called it “kick the can” and it was taped in the library … one podcast is posted the below … I loved all of those kids … I keep track of many of them … young professionals now! 

I just love being with kids ... they are so fresh and creative and bright ... (the below podcast is from 2009 so some of the "talk will be dated")




I have gone "paper"

My single mother or ruthless dictator eBook is now available in “paper”. I have had many people tell me, they prefer “paper” books to di...