Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Ancestry and DNA and the selling of sperm


Researching family roots is fascinating to me, through this I have found a few startling facts within my ancestors and distant relatives. 

I had my DNA researched on both ancestry and 23 and me sites, you can sign up to be notified by others if your DNA matches theirs … I chose to do this on a limited level. In doing so a woman once emailed saying she thinks we are related. After researching my personal family line I could not find any direct connections to her or her family tree other than the fact that our DNA seemed to match in a few key places.

So I asked this woman more about her family (growing up) what was her family life like and her parents like … she said her father was a medical doctor and had passed away a few years prior to her doing her DNA test … and that she was aliened, from her siblings and she wanted to research her family line (hey I get that you can choose your friends, but not your family).


Since there are physicians in my family as well … I thought … wow it must be in our DNA to be doctors! So I asked this woman what medical school did her dad go to and when did her parents marry …  

Then I started to learn things that disturbed me a bit, from this woman … she told her parents struggled while her father was in med school (many people do during this time of training). So her father would sell “his sperm” to make ends meet… now this was back in the 1960’s when such things were not common and since her father was in med school his sperm went for “big money” … ok that creeped me out a bit and I asked her,  “didn’t your mother mind her husband was doing this?”  The woman replied not at all … now I am thinking OMG … there could be dozens of children in the world fathered by this man …. So I asked this woman, how long did your father do this? She answered for his entire time in med school … WOW that is 4 years and WOW this man could literally have hundreds of biological children in the world…

And somehow a member of my family DNA line along the way had to have received this man’s “sperm donation” that it is coming up in a DNA test in my family line … and I thought about the moral implications of all of this and all the men who donate or sell their sperm … and the children produced … talk about “dead beat dads” these men top the list on a moral and ethical level … not to mention a on DNA level as to what physical / health issues a child may encounter in their lives …

 so it was shocking for me to learn that many medical students did this routinely to make money in the 1960’s and 70’s .. How a future doctor would think that was ok is beyond me and how any wife would think that was ok is totally beyond me …

I thought of this topic for I saw a local cable network is airing a TV show on this subject matter this coming October … and hundreds of adult children who were “fathered” this way will be interviewed … so I thought of my weird connection to this topic … in a random distant relative …

And I thought about “personal moral compasses” as to one’s actions in the world and how what is done in darkness truly affects the world in general and light will eventually be shone on these deeds.

I have gone "paper"

My single mother or ruthless dictator eBook is now available in “paper”. I have had many people tell me, they prefer “paper” books to di...