Friday, July 26, 2019

Best gift ever!


I am really … really difficult to buy a gift for … I mean “pain in the ass difficult” … I am fussy and point specific on things I like … I do like handmade cards from my grandchildren and flowers …

My eldest daughter has tried over the years to give me gifts from the grand to the random … to no success… yes I am that bitchy about gifts … well to be honest most gifts reflect the gift giver more than the person to whom they are bestowed upon … hence there is a massive amount of “re-gifting” on items you do not like, by everyone…

Except there is one gift this daughter gave to me years ago that will always stand out as the most valued gift every given to me … I have had it for years and I treasure it … this gift hangs on the front door where I live ..

First I need to speak to you about “hobo art” … hobo art was used by “Hobo’s”… people who have no home, traveling from place to place looking for food to eat … Mostly especially during the great depression …

One year for my birthday, my daughter gave me a “piece of Hobo art” with a description of what it meant …below is a photo of the gift



This symbol… The Hobo’s would etch on the door the above symbol meaning “a kind lady lives here”, during the great depression, who gave them shelter and food to eat … the symbolism of this gift floored me..

It made me think, “wow” my daughter thinks this of me... I could ask for no higher grace in life, than a child who thinks this way about me … to see her mother as being … kind, charitable, merciful to the poor, the hungry and homeless … I do not want to be remembered as successful in the world, but of success of soul … that is grace …    

So much do I honor and appreciate this simple gift given to me, by my daughter … it is a symbol I would like on my tombstone one day …

The sign of a Hobo … "here rests a kind lady” …     


  






I have gone "paper"

My single mother or ruthless dictator eBook is now available in “paper”. I have had many people tell me, they prefer “paper” books to di...